Agape House-Eastman Crisis Centre Inc. is currently seeking an experienced individual to fill the temporary role of HR Generalist. The HR Generalist will be responsible for leadership support and guidance on a wide range of HR matters across all areas of the non-profit organization. Using a consultative approach, the HR Generalist supports the organization in areas of workplace investigations, performance management and disciplinary action, policy interpretation and implementation, employee relations and terminations.
To be successful in this role, you will be expected to complete the following (not an exhaustive list of responsibilities):
- Research and respond to general employee and management questions on HR policies and processes; escalate issues as indicated to the appropriate individual for resolution.
- Support management in the delivery of new programs, training, policies, and information to Board members.
- Investigate complaints according to established protocols; escalate same.
- Support HR projects by participating in the roll out and delivery, monitoring of results and necessary follow up.
- Promote and execute HR programs and initiatives ensuring compliance with legislation, collective agreement and organization policies and procedures, with operational success and positive employee impact in mind.
- Liaise with management on leaves, onboarding, training, payroll, and other processes.
- Write disciplinary and termination letters; support delivery as required.
- Work with management to prepare and/or update job descriptions.
- Assist management with the preparation of Performance Improvement Plans; schedule and monitor follow up as required.
- Review job postings, prepare interview questions, interview with or for hiring leaders as required.
- Monitor monthly Attendance Report and follow up with management to ensure excessive absenteeism is addressed in accordance with the applicable policies.
- Monitor end dates for temporary positions and follow up with management as necessary.
- Other related duties as may be required.
To be qualified for this role, you must clearly exhibit some or all of the following:
Education and Training:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Human Resources; Business Administration or another related program may also be considered.
- CPHR designation achieved or in progress is preferred.
- An suitable combination of education and experience may be considered
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an HR functional role, preferably in the non-profit sector.
Skills and Attributes:
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Solid computer skills: keyboarding accuracy and experience with Microsoft Office products and web based programs. Ability to learn new programs and platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills throughout all levels of the organization.
- Attention to detail.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to train, coach, evaluate, and help improve others’ performance, contributions and/or workplace behaviours.
- Proven facilitation and presentation skills.
- Excel at creating and delivering quality training presentations and supporting materials.
- Good business acumen.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and take direction from several people.
- Appropriate sense of urgency.
- Knowledgeable in federal employment laws, as well as HR best practices.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
This contract will be somewhat flexible. Initially, the expectation will be to work 8 days per month and then decrease the frequency over a period of up to 6 months. The shelter operates 24 hours per day, therefore flexibility is required to understand the work environment across all shifts. The term will commence January 2020 and will end June 2020 or with 2 weeks notice of end of term, which ever is sooner.
If this challenging position excites you and you have what it takes to successfully offer leadership support and guidance on a wide range of HR matters at Agape House, we would love you hear from you. Please submit a cover letter including your salary expectations and your resume to email@example.com by December 30th. We thank all for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity with Agape House-Eastman Crisis Centre Inc.